Monday, February 27, 2012

Sloppy Joes

Last night, Jeff and I whipped up some healthy-ish sloppy joes. We didn't really have a recipe for the sauce so we came up with one... nothing fancy, but it was delicious!

Too Legit Sloppy Joes

1 pound 90/10 ground beef
1/2 cup onions and green peppers, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup Open Pit barbecue sauce, Original style
salt and pepper, to taste

Brown the ground beef in a skillet. Once the beef is almost done, drain the fat. Put the onions and peppers into the skillet with the beef and cook until the beef is done and the vegetables are soft. Mix in the ketchup and barbecue sauce and cook on low for 5 minutes to let the flavors meld.

There you go! Pretty simple and straight forward. The entire recipe is 21 Weight Watcher points, with the 90/10 ground beef being 1 point per ounce and all of the sauce being 5 points total. I used about a quarter of the recipe as a serving and called it 5 points... I rounded. Sue me. We used regular white bread (I know, bad) and that was 3 points for two slices, so I had an 8 point sandwich. For dinner, that's not too bad. If I had gone grocery shopping, I would have purchased some whole wheat buns. There are some that are only 1 point per bun, and that would make it a 6 point sandwich. Not too shabby!

No comments:

Post a Comment