Thursday, February 23, 2012

Apple Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

I posted something on Facebook about having a healthy new recipe that I came up with. It's delicious, if I do say so myself. It's nothing fancy but is still awesome.



Apple Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

1 3/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
2 packets stevia
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 medium apple, peeled/cored/chopped
1 cup quick-cooking oats

Combine all ingredients except for the apple and oats in a sauce pan, bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the apples and the oats and cook on medium for 5 minutes, or until thickened.

SIMPLE!

I have a few notes/suggestions:
-You can use any sort of milk (or even water) that you would like. I used coconut milk because I had it, and I thought it worked well. You can also use more liquid if you'd like. I like my oatmeal a little creamier, so I added almost 2 cups.
-For the stevia, I added 2 packets because I didn't need my oatmeal too sweet. That is all up to you.
-For the apple, use something firm and with a strong flavor, like a Granny Smith. I used a Gala, and since they are soft and mild, it took on the flavor of everything else and wasn't really standing out on it's own.

If you follow the original Weight Watchers plan, the entire recipe comes out to 10 points. That's it! I split it up into 4 servings, because that was more than enough for me, but a serving according to the quick-cooking oats package is 1/2 cup dry. That would be half the recipe. Once made, that's a LOT of oatmeal!

With all of this free time, I am trying to come up with some healthier recipes. I will post the ones that make the cut... aka the ones that don't suck so bad that I have to throw it away.

So here you go... eat away!

No comments:

Post a Comment